Monday, October 8, 2018

Trail Running: 6 Big Lessons I've Learned

The best kind of running is trail running.

There, I've said it. Getting out in nature, rambling over varying terrain, climbing and descending hills, being in the middle of scenes you can't get on the roads -- that's the stuff. Trail running engages me and challenges me in a way road running can't. I'm not just plopping my body down in a random spot and doing the same old thing. Every step is its own adventure, be it sand, rocks, roots, running water, uneven footing, brush or anything else the world can throw at me. It's energizing, invigorating. Unlike with road running, where it's easy to detach, trail running connects me with everything I'm doing, and everything around me.

One thing I hear a lot from people I invite to go with me is that they're unsure about trail running. But there's no special training or license. Here's some of the things I've learned about trail running over the past few years.


I Didn't Need Any Fancy Gear
There are some gnarly, technical trails out there. But that's not how I got started. I started out trail running on some short, relatively easy trails in parks not far from where I live. I wore my normal road-running shoes, and I was fine. Starting out, I ran short enough distances that I didn't need a fancy Camelbak or hand-held or vest -- I just kept water in my car. And running clothes are running clothes -- nothing unusual about what I wear.

These days, I do wear specialized trail shoes when going off road, and I do put on a Camelbak when I plan to be out for significantly more than an hour. But they're not necessary for a basic run.



I Had to Throw Pace Expectations Out the Window
The terrain on trails always slows me down. Depending on how technical and how hilly it is, I can be a minute per mile slower on the trails despite the same level of perceived exertion. That's OK. I go by time more than distance. The benefit is the same -- and possibly greater, since those climbs make me work muscles differently than I would on flat pavement.



It's Easier on My Joints
Because every step is different on a trail, each one puts a slightly different stress on my joints -- unlike road running, where the motion is very repetitive. I've found that after a really good trail run, I'm sore in more places, but I bounce back quicker, because I'm not super-sore in any one spot. Also, because every step isn't on rock-hard pavement, the ground absorbs some of the stress that my footstrikes would otherwise bounce back into my ankles, knees, hips and back.



The Scenery Is Great
This may go without saying, but getting out on the trails is a lot more mentally stimulating than simply rolling through suburban developments. No two runs are the same, even if you're on the same trail. The foliage, the wildlife, even the path itself -- they all change. Yeah, there are some great views on some of my road runs, but there's always something to see on every trail run.

And yeah, sometimes I get a little lost. That's OK, too, because it usually means I've found some new trails to run. I'm never afraid to take a turn that looks good, and see where it goes.






I'm Stronger in All My Runs
Climbing a gnarly hill is both cardiovascular and strength training for me. Not only am I working my heart and lungs hard, I'm engaging my glutes, quads, calves and core muscles. Sure, I can (and do) work hills on pavement, but when I'm on uneven terrain, I also have to pay attention to stability in all planes of motion. It's a workout!

The result is that I'm stronger on all runs -- hills, flat, paved, trail, beach, whatever.



It Toughened Me Up
Generally, even really bad conditions, the road is basically the same. Maybe I'll have to slow up just slightly in the rain to keep from slipping, or run around a puddle, or watch out for a few icy patches on snow-plowed roads. Not so much on the trails. If it rains, it gets muddy and slick. There might even be a few unavoidable puddles that I just have to hash through. Nobody's shoveling the path if it snows -- and clumps of snow falling from trees onto my head is super-fun.

There's also something of an ethos among trail runners that you don't wimp out -- you just go and adapt.

The result for me has been a lot fewer missed workouts and no treadmill. No whining. No complaining. I just go. And on those rare occasions that I do race, I never worry about the conditions -- I know I have the mental toughness to deal with anything.




Bottom Line: It's Just More Fun
Yes, trail running has improved my running and overall fitness, and helped me achieve more goals. But really, the reason I do it: Who doesn't love going out and playing in the woods for an hour or two? For me, it's kind of like being a kid again. No worries or stress -- just knocking around, getting dirty, doing my thing. What could be better?



Got some tips for trail running? Sound off in the comments below, on Facebook or on Twitter!

1 comment: