Saturday, July 11, 2015

Regular Guy Reads of the Week: July 11th

Well, I found a few good reads this week. It's really been a thin two-week stretch. It's funny how what you stumble onto often coincides with what you're thinking about. For me this past week, it's been dealing with injury. So...

Exercise Pain Relief: 10 Reasons Why You're Hurting in the Gym and What to Do About It: I think this is the first AskMen.com article I've linked -- it's a good one. A lot of common-sense tips to cut down your time on the DL.

Three Simple Tips for Staying Healthy: Prevention, stretching and hydration. Click the link for the science.

Four Reminders for Every Stubborn Runner: We're all guilty of it -- we know the right thing to do, but we don't do it ourselves. For example, you tell people not to do the same thing all the time, but when was the last time you cross-trained?

Avoiding Confirmation Bias: Alex Hutchinson FTW! A good example: Are you losing weight because you cut out gluten, or because no gluten also means no more Oreo cookies?

The No-Gym Home Six-Pack Workout: Ignore the six-pack Bro stuff. These are good exercises. I'll admit that I really don't like V-sits, though -- I'm a big baby.

Scientists Reveal Why BMI Is Useless: I hesitated to include this link because it's a little dense, and everything is in metric. But the central point is solid and worth paying attention to. If you're healthy and happy with how you look, that's the goal.

Come Back Gluten... All Is Forgiven: If you've been following me for a while, you know I'm a huge Mike Samuels fan. This should put the gluten debate to rest. (It won't, but it should.) My mother-in-law is celiac, so she can't eat gluten. The rest of you? Chill the eff out.

10 Reasons It's Better to Be Lean, Bro: The title of this piece actually pokes a little fun at the Bros. A lot of Bros refuse to spend even a single day in a calorie deficit for fear of losing their muscles. As I've said before, there's a reason Bro Science is abbreviated BS.

No comments:

Post a Comment